2010 Gold Award Winner for Residential Maintenance,
by the Illinois Landscape Contractors Association (ILCA)
Landscape renovation and meticulous maintenance
create a dazzling, year-round effect.
One of the more established properties in Lake Geneva, this home had great history and a beautiful site, situated between the lake and natural woodland. However, buckthorn had invaded the plantings, structural and hardscape elements needed to brought up to date, and a high-volume drainage way cut through the perennial garden. It had clearly become time to take a look at everything with fresh eyes.
Van Zelst, Inc., a full-service landscape architecture firm serving Chicago, the North Shore and the Lake Geneva and Williams Bay area, was selected to take on the renovation.
The Van Zelst team was able to address the owners’ issues and goals in a cohesive design that radiates season-long color with hundreds of shrubs and thousands of perennials. Stone-block “bridges” in the creekbed connect distinct areas of the garden in an organic-feeling way. A stone waterfall, surrounded by drifts of brilliant perennials and creeping foliage, adds to the sounds and textures of the landscape while drawing attention to the family’s beloved bronze statue. Subsurface drainage was installed and the owners’ existing bridges, gazebo and pathways were upgraded to make them like new. And large swaths of periwinkle and other native plants were preserved.
In addition, a comprehensive maintenance plan ensures that the home is always ready for entertaining. The year-round plan includes:
- Weeding, cultivation, pruning, dead-heading, fertilization and cleanup of perennial beds and shrubs
- Planting and replanting of containers and annual beds
- Edging and weeding of stone paths and hardscape features
- Weekly monitoring to anticipate and control disease and garden pests
- Extensive autumn and spring cleanup, including power washing the patios
- An irrigation system and watering program that is customized to provide grass, trees and plantings the right amount of moisture at the right time, without waste
- Caring for ponds, waterfalls and fountains to ensure that the water and plantings remain healthy, mechanical systems are in good working order and debris is promptly removed